Tuesday, February 28, 2012

[DIY] | [Cleaning] How to Clean Your Microfiber Furniture

I have a toddler.  I have a husband.  Therefore my couch is a bit messy.  A few stains, a lot of water rings and discoloration. 

My microfiber couch as been through spills, markers, ink, you name it... I wanted to clean it and the basic water and scrubbing was not cutting it.

I found this site (from Pinterest), The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking, where the it led me to Chris and Robin's Nest.  Robin posted the tips and tricks about cleaning a microfiber couch WITHOUT water... Here is my journey trying to clean my microfiber ottoman.





[DIY] | [Cleaning] How to Clean Your Microfiber Furniture

Difficulty:
  • Easy | Medium depending on stains and furniture

Time:
  • 15 minutes to 1 hour [depending on size of furniture and depth of stain]

Supplies:
  • Vacuum
  •  Rubbing Alcohol
  • Cloth or Sponge
  • Spray Bottle



 Steps:

  • Start by vacuuming your furniture piece.  I used my brush attachment.  It was very helpful :)

 
  •  Next take your alcohol and add it to a spray bottle.  [I forgot to picture this part...] but here are my supplies for the cleaning...


  • From my research, rubbing alcohol does not harm the microfiber.  As with any new cleaning product, try a test spot on the fabric to ensure that it does not damage your furniture.  The rubbing alcohol dries very quickly.  This is one great thing about using it over water.
  • Scrub, scrub, scrub.  Seriously, you don't need to do an arm workout if your couch was as dirty as mine.  My arms are so sore.  I can barely type this... [Insert Rosy Cheeks] 
  • After it has completely dried, run your hands over the piece to "wake up" your microfiber.  :)  I found that my hand was just as easy as a bristled brush.  
  • Here is my final product...


  • Notice the dirt and grime on my rag... It was white when we began... now it is filled with yuckiness...  

 [Before] & [After*]




*Please note that my Ottoman was especially stained with very old water rings and stains.  Many of them came out in one try.  Tomorrow I will re-clean my Ottoman with the same steps and see if the leftover water stains will remain.

Although my stains still remain, I am overall excited about the outcome... and still ashamed I let my Ottoman get this bad... but I am proud of the hard work, and I mean hard work, that I put into it.

Note to self... Don't let your Microfiber furniture get this bad... makes cleaning a lot more work... ;)


    4 comments:

    1. I know my wife can relate to you. Haha! Kidding aside, I know it’s hard to clean and maintain a beautiful couch, and she usually calls up cleaners for the chore. So one time, I decided to help her and researched on ways to clean a couch. This technique in particular is very effective. I did this method when she went for groceries and when she arrived at home, she couldn’t be happier to see the couch sparkling clean!

      Pete Henderson

      ReplyDelete
    2. Spot-clean any future stains as they appear to keep your sofa looking its best. Since microfiber is somewhat water-resistant, water-based spills should be relatively easy to remove before they set. Simply dab them with an absorbent paper towel or cloth; do not rub fresh spills or you will press them deeper into the fibers.

      ReplyDelete
    3. the couch set was exactly as i expected it. The colors fit perfectly with the theme i am going with in my living room. Very comfortable and relaxing as expected. Also, it was very easy to put together and the instruction were very easy to follow. I am very happy with my purchase!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Brookhaven JenniferMay 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM

      I still love the look of this couch, after having it in my small apartment living room for just over a month. The lounger has a good length to it, and the cushions are firm but not hard. Overall, especially for the low cost of it, this was definitely worth a purchase. A few notes to other potential buyers:

      You can put it together by yourself, but prepare to take about an hour. The parts are not all well labeled, and I had to restart once after attaching some pieces backwards. Take your time, and leave the "legs" for the absolute end.

      The ottoman top is connected by a form of velcro to the body. Once you first start using it, you'll hear that velcro noise every time someone sits on the ottoman or places heavy feet on it. It'll fade in time as the cushion settles in.

      The two "pieces small sofa" of the sectional (lounger and loveseat) have no actual connection like screws or bolts between them. They're merely placed flush with each other and the legs should keep the couch from moving apart. This works just fine on my carpet, even with strenuous movement on the couch (*cough*) but I could see it being a problem on hardwood or smooth tile.

      ReplyDelete